This is my go to Chocolate Cake. I make it for family dinners, birthdays, and everything in between. I really like the combination of two types of chocolate. Unsweetened cocoa powder is used in the chocolate cake and a dark chocolate is used in the frosting. I hope you like this recipe just as my family and friends do.
So let's start with recipe.
2 cups granulated white sugar
1 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1 cup warm water
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup corn, safflower or canola oil
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
227 grams semisweet chocolate
3/4 cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place rack in the center of the oven. Butter, or spray with a non stick vegetable spray on a pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the eggs, mashed bananas, water, milk, oil, and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir, or whisk, until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. When completely cooled, frost with the Ganache.
- Ganache : Place the chopped chocolate in a medium sized stainless steel, or heatproof bowl. Set aside. Heat the cream and butter in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Bring just to a boil. Immediately pour the boiling cream over the chocolate and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. When Ganache has completely cooled, beat until soft and fluffy. Then spread the frosting on top of the cake. Can garnish with dried banana chips.